22 song lyrics to borrow for your greeting card messages
Ah, the lovely blank canvas of a greeting card. You want to write something special, something they'll love and which they will want to treasure forever, but inspiration is just not flowing. The longer you put it off, the harder it gets, the more you second guess yourself and the more everything you go to write sounds lame. In the end, you run out of time, scribble the same thing you wrote last time, and decide to give them an extra-long hug so they won't notice the poor effort on the card.
It's not ideal. But you know what? There's a rich treasure trove of beautiful words available to you by people who have faced the blank page and won the battle to overcome it. And many of those words are already spinning around in your head.
Really - try this, for example, ‘You are my sunshine! You make me happy when skies are grey.’ These are words written by Paul Rice in 1939, recorded by over 350 artists since, and they’re instantly recognisable.
Song lyrics are greeting card gold
There must be a million love songs with lyrics that would be beautiful on a card to your partner. Here are 22 to get your inspiration flowing:
- Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on - Bill Withers.
- I see your true colours, and that's why I love you - Billy Steinberg / Tom Kelly (performed by Cyndi Lauper).
- Tramps like us, baby, we were born to run - Bruce Springsteen.
- I just want your extra time and your kiss - Prince.
- Because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon - Neil Young.
- We can be heroes, just for one day - Brian Eno / David Bowie / Andrea Schroeder.
- I hope you don't mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is while you're in the world - Bernie Taupin (performed by Elton John).
- Come fly with me, come fly, let's fly away - Jimmy Van Heusen / Sammy Cahn (performed by Frank Sinatra).
- Look at the stars; look how they shine for you - Coldplay.
- Shine on you crazy diamond - Dave Gilmour / Richard Wright of Pink Floyd.
- You can count on me like 1, 2, 3 - Peter Gene Hernandez / Ari Levine / Philip Martin Lawrence II (performed by Bruno Mars.
- And when you smile/The whole world stops and stares for a while/'Cause, girl, you're amazing just the way you are - Ari Levine / Khalil Walton / Khari Cain / Peter Gene Hernandez / Philip Martin Lawrence II (performed by Bruno Mars).
- ‘Cause all of me loves all of you. Love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections - John Legend.
- You're still the one I run to, the one that I belong to; you're still the one I want for life - Robert John Lange / Shania Twain.
- Heaven is a place on earth with you - Elizabeth Grant / Justin Parker (performed by Lana Del Rey).
- You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now - Johnny Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls.
- These fancy things will never come in between. You're part of my entity, here for infinity - Christopher A. Stewart / Shawn C. Carter / Terius Youngdell Nash / Thaddis Laphonia Harrell (performed by Rihanna).
- Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am home again - Robert Smith of The Cure.
- And suddenly, you're all I need, the reason why I smile - Avril Lavigne / Max Martin / Shellback.
- And take a piece of my heart and make it all your own, so when we are apart, you'll never be alone - Martin Terefe / Glen Scott / Shawn Mendes / Scott Harris Friedman (performed by Shawn Mendes).
- Let's love like there's no goodbyes - Lindy Robbins / Ilsey Juber / Daniel James Traynor / Dua Lipa (performed by Dua Lipa).
Too gushy? How about this short and simple message for a birthday card:
- Another one bites the dust! - John Deacon (performed by Queen).
Now that you’ve got all those songs spinning around in your head, keep the flow going. Grab some beautiful cards and send them out to your special people. You know they’ll love it.